This week, Congressman Kevin Brady (TX-08), a senior House Republican, released the following statement after the House of Representatives voted to pass H.R. 1837, United States-Israel Cooperation Enhancement and Regional Security Act and H.Res. 246, Opposing efforts to delegitimize the State of Israel and the Global Boycott, Divestment, and Sanctions Movement:
“As a proud co-sponsor of both H.R. 1837 and H.Res 246, I’m pleased the House was able to come together in a bipartisan manner and pass these important pro-Israel bills. Israel has long been a friend and important ally of the United States, and we have a duty to stand up and support them in Congress.
“While these votes are an important show of solidarity, Congress must also pass legislation that takes real, concrete action against the BDS movement. As anti-Semitic rhetoric continues to rise in the United States and around the world, the time is now to put forward legislative solutions that can effectively combat BDS. Therefore, I encourage my Democratic colleagues to allow House Republicans to bring H.R. 336 to the floor for a vote and take legitimate steps to renounce this anti-Semitic movement.”
H.R. 1837, the U.S. – Israel Cooperation Enhancement and Regional Security Act:
- Authorizes increased security assistance to Israel, as called for in the 2016 U.S.-Israel Memorandum of Understanding on security assistance (MOU).
- Authorizes the immediate transfer of military equipment to Israel upon a presidential determination that Israel is under an existing or imminent threat of military attack.
- Authorizes a $1 billion increase over five years for the U.S. War Reserve Stockpile in Israel.
- Includes key economic provisions that bolsters the U.S. – Israel relationship.
H.Res. 246, Opposing efforts to delegitimize the State of Israel and the Global Boycott, Divestment, and Sanctions:
- The BDS movement wages economic war against our friend and ally Israel, as well as all people of Jewish faith. This bipartisan resolution puts all members on the record regarding BDS’s discriminatory efforts to isolate and delegitimize Israel.
H.R. 336, the Strengthening America’s Security in the Middle East Act of 2019 fights the anti-Israel BDS movement by:
- Including the Combatting BDS Act of 2019, which will allow states and local governments to divest from entities that boycott Israel.
- Providing important protection for states and local governments that are acting to defend Israel, and stop BDS.
- Providing crucial assistance for Israel and Jordan and sanctioning those who enable Assad’s war crimes.
- Authorizing the $33b in military assistance pursuant to the 10-year US-Israel Memorandum of Understanding, enhancing security cooperation, and ensuring they maintain a military qualitative edge to defend itself from the daily threats and regimes that seek to destroy Israel.
Kevin Price, Host of the nationally syndicated Price of Business show and Editor at Large of The Daily Blaze said “there is an unusual and disheartening wave of anti-semitism that is seen in progressives worldwide. Things need to be done to address this trend.”