Today, Congressman Kevin Brady (R-TX) released the following statement in support of the re-introduction of the Born Alive Survivors Protection Act:
“I want to thank my colleague, Rep. Anne Wagner, for re-introducing this important legislation. Last night, President Trump called on Congress to defend the dignity of all children, born or unborn. This is a great step in that direction because it ensures that any infant born alive after an abortion receives the same medical treatment and protection of law that any newborn would. I have already sponsored multiple pro-life and pro-family bills in the 116th Congress, and I see this as another important step in the fight for life. As a co-sponsor of this bill, I’m honored to join my colleagues in support of this crucial piece of legislation.”
The Born Alive Survivors Protection Act, introduced by Rep. Anne Wagner (R-MO), proposes important measures that would protect the life of any child born alive after an abortion. These measures include requiring health-care practitioners to employ all skills and health care available to a born-alive baby that would be otherwise afforded to a newborn, and requiring healthcare practitioners to report violations of this to law enforcement. Furthermore, this act would penalize the intentional killing of a born-alive child while providing the mother of the child civil cause of action and protection from prosecution.
In the 116th Congress, Representative Brady has supported multiple pieces of pro-life legislation, including;
- The Life at Conception Act, sponsored by Rep. Alex Mooney (R-WV), which provides equal protection for the lives of born and preborn persons.
- The Defund Planned Parenthood Act, sponsored by Rep. Vicky Hartzler (R-MO), which prohibits funding Planned Parenthood for one year, reallocating the savings to community health centers.
- The Pain-Capable Unborn Child Protection Act, sponsored by Rep. Chris Smith (R-NJ), which prohibits performing an abortion on an unborn baby who is 20 week or older.
- The Prenatal Nondiscrimination Act, sponsored by Rep. Ann Wagner (R-MO), which prohibits sex-selected abortions, aborting a child on the basis of the child’s gender.
- The Child Interstate Abortion Notification Act, sponsored by Rep. Mike Johnson (R-LA), which makes it a crime to knowingly transport a minor across a state line, circumventing parental consent and state notification requirements, in order to obtain an abortion.